From unfit and overweight through half-marathoner and marathoner to my ultimate challenge - the toughest footrace on earth - 150 miles in 6 days in the Sahara - the 2014 Marathon des Sables.

I hope this blog will be a source of tips for other runners and a source of inspiration for those who want to start running, but need a bit of a push!

Thursday 23 May 2013

Dead Legs

First run back after the Richmond Park Marathon two and a half weeks ago. Just a 5.5 miler, but it felt slow and clunky (avge pace 7:47/mile).

My next big race is the London to Brighton Ultra in September. The Ultra training started today. I'm going to follow a plan for a 50 mile week. Where possible I will run a few miles more on my runs, but I don't think that in reality I will regularly stick to a 70 mile week plan. There's a 13-hour cut-off time for the L2B race and I'd love to finish it and finish within that limit.

The general plan is long run on Saturday - anything from 14-25 miles with one 31 miler approximately 4 weeks before the race. On all Sundays other than the one after the 31 miler there is a 5 or 10 miler - which I expect will be a shock to the legs after the Saturday run!

Weekday runs are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and follow a 7-5-7, 6-4-6, 10-5-7 or 9-5-7 pattern.

I'm tempted to try to run the short ones quickly, but otherwise I'm going to give speed training a miss.

If any readers have any comments or suggestions for tweaking this plan, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment