From unfit and overweight through half-marathoner and marathoner to my ultimate challenge - the toughest footrace on earth - 150 miles in 6 days in the Sahara - the 2014 Marathon des Sables.

I hope this blog will be a source of tips for other runners and a source of inspiration for those who want to start running, but need a bit of a push!

Sunday 14 April 2013

Brighton Marathon: 4:08 New PB but...

Just run the Brighton Marathon. 4:08:26. Beaten my last PB by 24 minutes! Great, but I'm annoyed.

Felt really great until about 19-20 miles. My aim was to go sub 4-hour. I was at 20 miles at 2:59 and on target, but then - cramps! Both calves started cramping up and I just could not carry on running and had to stop to stretch. I was reduced to running for 3-4 minutes and then I had to stop to stretch for about 30-60 seconds. My Garmin had me completely stationary for 4.5 minutes!

Fitness wise I felt I ran a good race. The first 19 miles were done at around 8:40 minute/mile avge pace. I probably ran out of fuel about half a mile before the end so would otherwise have been a great race.

What causes muscle cramps and how do you prevent them? I wonder if hydration was an issue. I thought I had started with a lot of fluid on board and I took water at every aid station, but I did not need to stop for a toilet break at all - which I suspect was a bad sign.

Need to sort this out...

No comments:

Post a Comment