From unfit and overweight through half-marathoner and marathoner to my ultimate challenge - the toughest footrace on earth - 150 miles in 6 days in the Sahara - the 2014 Marathon des Sables.

I hope this blog will be a source of tips for other runners and a source of inspiration for those who want to start running, but need a bit of a push!

Tuesday 23 April 2013

Training between Marathons 3 weeks apart

So Brighton is done.  Next race - The Richmond Park Marathon on 5th May.

So what do I do between races?  I've taken the week after Brighton off.  First run back was at the weekend - just 4.5 miles mostly off-road and with 3 miles or so on a sandy bridlepath - wow, I had a sore ankle and knee for a couple of days after that!  Must have been the sand!  I had planned a long run on Sunday but I binned that due to the ankle and knee.  I've learnt my lesson about running through injuries the hard way!

Looks like I'd better start doing more training on sand - I think there'll be quite a bit of that next April!

Second run tonight - 7.5 miles in 58 minutes.  I'm fairly pleased with that.

What next?  I think 2 or 3 more similar runs this week, 1 long run at the weekend (about 15 miles or so) and then one easy run next week.

Going to run Richmond Park Marathon with a camelbak and electrolytes this time.  Hopefully that will deal with the cramps problem.  Now, which electrolyte tablets to use...?

No comments:

Post a Comment